4.26.2012

The Giant Story, Maurice Sendak




Today's vintage children's book, The Giant Story, is by Beatrice Schenk De Regniers and illustrated by Maurice Sendak. I've had this book for some time and didn't realize when I purchased it that Sendak was the illustrator as it was done early in his career. The illustrations are different from his more recognized work such as Where The Wild Things Are and In The Night Kitchen. That being said, the compositions are really nice and I like the simple color palette.


My apologies for the lapse in posting, I forgot to mention in my last post that I was going to be out of town. I am still without a scanner, but putting my camera to good use.












THE GIANT STORY
By Beatrice Schenk De Regniers
Illustrated by Maurice Sendak
E.M. Hale and Co., 1953

1 comment:

  1. My grandma used to read this to me when I was very small. Not long before my aunt died four months ago (she was less than three years older than I am, so we shared our childhoods), she brought out a box. Inside was this book and other books we used to read when we were little. I opened The Giant Story and was overwhelmed by a smell I associate with Grandma's house. Before she died, my aunt gave me that box. This book is now one of my favorite treasures. It's not in great shape, but it's a favorite memory.

    ReplyDelete