4.05.2012

Chanticleer and the Fox, Barbara Cooney


Today's vintage children's book, Chanticleer and the Fox, is my favorite book by Barbara Cooney. To prepare for illustrating this book, Cooney studied rare illuminated manuscripts from medieval times. You can see the influence of that in all the gorgeous detail and brilliant use of color in her illustrations. A neighbor loaned Cooney some chickens and the local Grange donated a pen so that she could use the chickens as models in her studio. In my opinion, Chanticleer and the Fox is her tour de force. Cooney definitely earned her Caldecott Medal for this book. I took many scans and hope that you enjoy this book as much as I do.
























Chanticleer and the Fox
By Geoffrey Chaucer
Adapted and Illustrated by Barbara Cooney
Thomas Y. Crowell Co., 1958

3 comments:

  1. I love Barbara Cooney's illustrations! She does Medieval here especially well. I'm hoping to find *My friend MAC* too; the kids love her Bear story! Thanks for sharing the beautiful images!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super illustrator! Hadn´t had the chance yet of viewing Chantecleer and love it for its style. Probably difficult yet I`ll try to find a second hand copy to buy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you found one, it's a very special book!

    ReplyDelete