4.21.2011

Sounds After Dark, Children's Textbook



Some more great illustrations from the vintage children's language text books I bought, this one is Sounds After Dark by Bill Martin jr. Woodcut illustrations by Eric Carle for Kumbayah, a traditional African folksong, are great - they convey a sense of movement and emotion as befits the song. I really like woodcuts, I don't know what it is, they just do it for me.











This illustration is sad and poignant. I'm not trying to bring anybody down, but I thought it was striking and that the illustration was well done, though I'm not sure what the green eyes represent. Any ideas? I cannot find the page to tell you who the artist was ( I have 5 different books), when I do I'll put it in here.


I can't leave you with a sad picture, so here is a field of poppies by John Randall. One of the things I like about these books is pages like these. What a great exercise for kids to look at art and then think of a story to go with it.

Sounds After Dark
By Bill Martin Jr.
With Peggy Brogan
Holt, Rinehart and Winston, 1970



Have a good, safe, happy weekend everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment